Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis Town Hall
The current Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis Town Hall, built on the site of a sand quarry between 1896 and 1904, was designed by architect Albert Dumont. His plan was for a building, constructed in the ornate French neo-Renaissance style, with a total surface area of 4,267 m², its two wings forming a semi-circle. With its combination of materials – Vosges pink granite, Euville and Savonnières stone, brick and blue limestone – the town hall is a resplendent sight. Both inside and out, the building represents a statement of faith in progress and civilised values. Indeed, for the designers, art and beauty were essential for “the triumph of light and civilisation”. Great artists gave shape to this dazzling structure, which seems to set out to demonstrate the transformational power of beauty. Architects Alfred Cluysenaar and his son Andrées, Jacques de Lalaing and Albert Ciamberlani joined forces to create the Great Hall. Eugène Broerman decorated the municipal council chamber, Fernand Khnopff together with Isidore and Hélène de Rudder oversaw the Wedding Hall, and Omer Dierickx was responsible for the Europe Room. The grandeur of this living museum is admired by art lovers, visitors and local residents alike. (Listed 08/08/1988)
Tours focusing on the Town Hall’s murals (by Fernand Khnopff, Albert Ciamberlani, Alfred Cluysenaar, Émile Fabry and others), led by Jacqueline Guisset, art historian and expert in monumental art: Sat. & Sun. at 13:30 and 15:30 (in French).
Tours of the Mayor’s office, led by Charles Picqué, Mayor of Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis: Sat. & Sun. at 11:00 and 12:00 (in French and Dutch).
Themed guided tours highlighting the treasures in the Town Hall’s collection, led by Alain Jacobs, art historian and member of the non-profit artistic heritage organisation Association pour le Patrimoine Artistique: Sat. & Sun. at 11:30 and 15:00 (in French).
Exhibition: “Jordaens: the story of a discovery”. It had always been thought that Jacob Jordaens’s The Holy Family, owned by the Municipality of Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis, was a copy. However, in 2020, world-renowned experts came to the conclusion that it was in fact an original. The exhibition tells the story of this rediscovery.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Place Maurice Van Meenen/Maurice Van Meenenplein 39, Saint-Gilles/Sint-Gillis
By reservation only
Accessible with assistance