Café de La Rue
In 1838, carpenter Joseph Mafsart had a house-cum-workshop – one of many in Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek at that time – built for himself. Almost a century later, a cabaret called Café de la Colonne moved into the premises. As was typical at the time, the interior layout comprised a large central space with benches, and on the walls a table showing the scores of football matches and display cases for trophies. A traditional stove kept the punters warm in colder weather. The establishment changed its name to Café des Sports in 1955, and then to Café de la Rue in 1976, turning into a base for La Rue, a non-profit organisation dedicated to lifelong learning. Recapturing its former atmosphere, it once again became the backdrop for festivities and celebrations, and also a hub of social commitment. This fine example of a typical Brussels cabaret has retained its original ambiance, resulting in the entire building, so the façade and interior, being listed in 2020. Since 2008, Café de la Rue – which is also the birthplace of La Fonderie, a well-known heritage protection and promotion organisation – has been holding shows and concerts in this intimate setting. (Listed 09/07/2020)
Bar open all day with snacks (cream cheese and radish sandwiches… while stocks last!) available on Sat. & Sun. from 11:00 to 13:00.
Talk by zwanze (Brussels humour) expert Joske Maelbeek, with singer and writer Bruno Brel: Sat. & Sun. at 14:00 and 16:30 (duration: 30 minutes).
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue de la Colonne/Kolomstraat 30, Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek
Talk by reservation only