For centuries, the outline of a church towered above the working-class neighbourhood of Saint-Géry/Sint-Gorik. In 1798 it was destroyed, and a square was built in its place. A fountain with an obelisk from Grimbergen Abbey was erected in this location. In 1881, architect Adolphe Vanderheggen, who had already designed the covered market in Chaussée d’Etterbeek/Etterbeeksesteenweg, was commissioned to build a similar structure here. He decided to incorporate the fountain into a neo-Renaissance-style building topped with a lightweight structure made of iron and glass. Inside, a network of slender octagonal columns supports the metal frame, whose roof trusses form a three-centre arch. Flat iron circles decorate the spandrels on the arches. As was the custom at the time in covered galleries, a large glass roof lit the building. Market gardeners sold their produce here until 1973. The Halles/Hallen were listed in 1987 and underwent a restoration which was completed in 1989. A regional centre for heritage and the promotion of Brussels residents’ living environment, the Halles/Hallen organise architecture-, heritage- and urban planning-related activities. They now host exhibitions, shows and numerous cultural events. The site also has a pleasant café where people enjoy meeting up for a lively conversation or a game of chess. (Listed 26/01/1987)
One-stop shop for information about the Heritage Days.
Accessible with assistance