The Flemish Parliament (Vlaams Parlement) takes up two buildings, linked by a tunnel. Since March 1996, all official meetings and receptions have taken place in the former Hôtel des Postes et de la Marine, built in 1905 to a design by Joseph Benoit. It was acquired by the Flemish Council (the forerunner of the Flemish Parliament) in 1987 and underwent a radical transformation.
The House of the Flemish Representatives (Huis van de Vlaamse Volksvertegenwoordigers) has been the Flemish Parliament’s administrative centre since 11 July 2002. In what was formerly the Postcheque building, the impressive counter hall (De Loketten) serves as a visitor’s centre with a reception, bistro and interactive digital exhibition on the functioning and history of the Flemish Parliament. In the Postcheque era, this counter hall was also used as a reception area for visitors. The design by Victor Bourgeois is a fine example of the new pragmatism of the 1930s and 1940s. For this reason, the building features in the Brussels-Capital Region’s list of protected buildings and sites.
Both buildings, the corridors, reception rooms, committee rooms and offices are decorated with works by renowned artists such as Guillaume Bijl, Fred Eerdekens, Jozef Legrand, Panamarenko, Dirk Braekman, Luc Tuymans, Roger Raveel, Liliane Vertessen, Pjeroo Roobjee, Berlinde De Bruyckere and many more. (Safeguarding – 02/04/1998)
Advance booking not required
Accessible with assistance