Woluwe-Saint-Pierre/Sint-Pieters-Woluwe Town Hall
Architects Guillaume Vermeiren and Joseph-Paul Nicaise worked together on the design for the new Woluwe-Saint-Pierre/Sint-Pieters-Woluwe Town Hall, erected between 1961 and 1965. The building, which is clearly inspired by the Flemish neo-Renaissance style, is dominated by an impressive bell tower that is visible from all the main thoroughfares running through the area.
In 2000, the former ballroom (known as Bal 300) was completely refurbished to accommodate theatrical performances, receptions and exhibitions. It opened with an exhibition dedicated to painter Émile Fabry (1865-1966), after whom the new room was subsequently named. To mark his 100th birthday, the municipal council purchased four of Fabry’s monumental compositions. One of them, L’Effort (The Effort), was rediscovered in the town hall’s attic in the late 1990s. Commissioned for the 1905 Liège World’s Fair, this scene – 4 metres high by 7 metres wide – now adorns the Fabry Room. Other works by the artist, including Adam et Ève chassés du Paradis terrestre (Adam and Eve expelled from Paradise) and Le Christ entre les Larrons (Christ between the thieves), decorate the municipal council chamber in particular.
The town hall adjoins W: Halll, an extensive space that hosts conventions, meetings, conferences and a range of cultural activities, bringing together enthusiastic and diverse audiences. It is also home to the Royal Belgian Genealogical and Heraldic Office (OGHB). Founded in 1942, the association now has around a thousand members, whose interests in genealogy and/or heraldry span every part of Belgium.
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Brussels Chatterguides.