Positioned on a hillock in the meadow adjoining Hof ter Musschen farm, the wooden windmill has survived many misadventures and changes of location. Its blades originally turned in Esplechin, close to Tournai, where it was erected in 1767. Abandoned due to competition from the flour mills, it was saved at the last minute by Dr Duthoit, who acquired it and had it transported to Arc-Ainières, in the province of Hainaut, in the 1930s. After his death, his widow offered it to the Municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert/Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe, which transferred it to its territory in 1964. After being seriously damaged by a fire in the early 1980s, it was rebuilt on the Hof ter Musschen site in 1988. The windmill was painstakingly restored between 2015 and 2016 and today constitutes a handsome reminder of rural life in Brussels, a city that was once home to many windmills. (Listed – 09/04/1943)
Sat.: 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00.
Sun.: 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00.
Retour aux sources (Return to Source), a show telling the story of Marie, Oscar and the mill with warmth and simplicity, Sat. at 16:00 and Sun. at 10:00. Advance booking required. Up to 50 people per performance.
In cooperation with the Heritage Promotion Department of the Municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert/Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe and the non-profit organisation Luizenmolen-Anderlecht.
Guided tours in French Belgian Sign Language: Sat. & Sun. at 13:00. In cooperation with Arts & Culture.
Guided tours and by reservation only