Castel de Lindthout (fully booked)
Ghent architect Florimond Vandepoele built the Castel de Lindthout for lawyer Auguste Beckers between 1867 and 1869, creating an imposing edifice in the Flemish neo-Renaissance style. Twenty years after its construction – in 1898, to be precise – it was taken over by banker Charles-Henri Dietrich, who would later become the Baron of Val-Duchesse. Dietrich renovated the building with the assistance of architect Edmond De Vigne and painter Jean Van Holder. The Castel still has its period decor and thus looks just as it did in the early 20th century. The entrance hall is a standout example of the neo-Gothic decorative style: its walls are bedecked with views of Woluwe landscapes, above marouflaged trompe-l’œil canvases imitating rich fabrics decorated with coats of arms. The Gothic great hall is adorned with painted stained glass, tapestries, wood facing, and friezes bearing coats of arms, while the dining room, with its coffered ceiling and carved panelling, is clearly influenced by the neo-Renaissance style. The ceramics room, which takes its name from the panels of Delft tiles on its walls, adjoins the ballroom, with its magnificent woodwork. The Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Lille purchased the estate in 1903 on finding themselves forced to leave France, and soon opened a boarding school there. They later enlarged it, adding a number of annexes and a neo-Gothic chapel, built by Julien Walckiers between 1914 and 1919.
The Castel was home to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart until 1998. In 2000, it was taken over by the Municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert/Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe, which housed its Academy of Music, Dance and Performing Arts. The Castel and the older parts of the former Lindthout estate have been a listed complex since 2002. The façades, frames and roofs underwent a major refurbishment between 2015 and 2018. (Listed since…)
Guided tours Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (French), 12:00 and 15:00 (Dutch). In cooperation with Arkadia.
Sun. only, 10:00 to 18:00
Avenue des Deux Tilleuls/Tweelindenlaan 2, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert/Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe
Guided tours only – advance booking required