Ticket hall of the former Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek station (now Train World)
The original Schaerbeek station was built in 1887, replacing a small wooden construction. It makes up the left wing of the current building and was constructed to plans by Belgian State Railways architect Franz Seulen. He was called upon again in 1913, this time to draw up plans for a new wing for the existing building to house the ticket hall, during a period when both passenger and goods traffic were on the up. The Flemish neo-Renaissance station building combines stone and brick architecture with a monumental metal structure. The complex interplay of roofs gives it a very distinctive appearance. Until 2000, sleeper trains to France and Italy left from Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek station, with the many travellers and their families meeting up in the vast ticket hall.
Nowadays, they have been replaced with railway history enthusiasts rediscovering this elegant construction. That is because, having undergone a series of major restorations, the station is now home to the railway museum Train World, for which the original buildings have been carefully restored and adapted to their new use. (Listed 10/11/1994)
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 11:00 and 14:00 (in English); 10:30, 11:30, 13:30, 14:30 and 15:30 (in French); 10:00, 11:00, 13:00, 14:00 and 15:00 (in Dutch). In cooperation withTrain World.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 15:30
Place Princesse Elisabeth/Prinses Elisabethplein, Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek
Guided tours and by reservation only. For Train World, an admission charge applies.