Programme

Parc Josaphat/Josaphatpark

A. de Ville de Goyet © urban.brussels

Legend has it that a pilgrim returning from Jerusalem in 1574 found there was such a similarity between the Roodebeek valley and the Valley of Josaphat in Palestine that he decided to rename this area of Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek. When the estate that once occupied this site was about to be broken up at the start of the 19th century, King Leopold II encouraged the municipality to expropriate it, thus preserving for the public’s enjoyment one of the most attractive green spaces in this part of Brussels. The park was designed by Belgian landscape architect Edmond Galoppin and opened in 1904. The municipal authorities later enhanced it, tripling its initial surface area by adding large neighbouring plots. Ever since its creation, the park has been a favourite meeting place for local residents, who liked to get together at the estaminets La Fontaine d’Amour and La Laiterie before these hostelries were demolished to make way for Le Trinkhall. From 1912 onwards, this establishment resumed the tradition of holding concerts and balls. It can seat 800 people and has a removable kiosk. With a playground dating from 1914, a vast lawn where archery competitions are staged and a mini-golf course opened in 1954, there is plenty of opportunity for sport and outdoor group activities, as today joggers and walkers alike continue to enjoy this green artery which gives Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek some of its lifeblood. (Listed 31/12/1974)

Practical information

Avenue Ambassadeur Van Vollenhoven/Ambassadeur Van Vollenhovenlaan / Avenue du Suffrage Universel/Algemeen Stemrechtlaan / Avenue Ernest Renan/Ernest Renanlaan / Boulevard Lambermont/Lambermontlaan / Avenue Chazal/Chazallaan / Avenue des Azalées/Azalealaan, Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek
T
7 Chazal
B
64 Chazal
B
66 Azalées - Azalea