This neoclassical town house was built in 1860 during the initial development of the tracé royal between the two royal palaces of Brussels and Laeken. At that time, the neighbourhood was very popular with the bourgeoisie. Designed by an unknown architect, this elegant town house has a plastered main façade with a blue limestone base. The side carriage entrance provides access to the courtyard and to the old stables and coach houses. The house was remodelled and extended in 1912 for a wealthy wine merchant, Albert Niels, who made it his family home until 1946. The interior has been partially preserved, with its suites of spacious reception rooms. Some retain their panelling, stucco and moulded ceilings, evoking the world of well-to-do 19th-century society. The interior is arranged around a staircase, which connects the reception rooms and reveals the majestic scale of the building. From 1945 to 1995, the building housed the offices of a Gaumont film distributor, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node being Belgium’s cinema distribution hub. Today, the ground floor is home to a champagnothèque, recently renamed BEAUBBLES, offering tastings (with or without expert commentary) of 150 brands of champagne, and programmes to learn more about this premium product, as well as VIP activities. On the first floor, a multi-camera Greenkey studio taps into the house’s cinematic past: this VIRTUALPALACE, the recipient of a visit.brussels award, offers the public a virtual venue for producing hybrid events that can be streamed online.
The elegant residence, with its pergola vines, can be hired for private champagne-related events or for filming.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue Royale/Koningsstraat 290, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node
By reservation only