This remarkable Beaux-Arts town house was built for Georges Boël in 1913. The wealthy man, who made a fortune in the steel industry, called on the services of Michel Heininx, who was an architect for the royal palaces. Heininx designed a three-storey building with a mansard roof, made of white stone and imitation stone, with banded rustication on the ground floor. Curiously, the glazed-brick rear façade has affinities with the Flemish neo-Renaissance style, a nod to the many decorative features inside the house but above all to the splendid portico of the entrance hall and the huge second-floor hall with its richly carved doors, panelling and fireplaces, all topped off with a timber roof frame. The town house has retained harmonious interior proportions, particularly in the suite of reception rooms, whose successful neo-rococo decor combines carved panelling with painted ceilings and marble fireplaces. In a sign of the eclecticism of the period, the Hôtel Boël also features a neo-Gothic octagonal room. The building offers a valuable insight into bourgeois 19th-century life, with its reception rooms that once hummed to the sounds of parties and grand dinners. (Listed 04/04/2019)
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Atelier de Recherche et d’Action Urbaines and Korei Guided Tours.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue Royale/Koningsstraat 288, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node
Guided tours and by reservation only