Bains de Saint-Josse/Zwembaden van Sint-Joost (fully booked)
Although the idea was first floated in 1912, the people of Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node had to wait until 1934 for their own swimming baths. The building was designed by architects Bytebier and Schaessens in the Art Deco style, with a façade featuring a delightful combination of blue limestone and yellow brick. Inside, the current appearance owes much to the redesigns carried out in the 1960s, namely the addition of decorative mosaic panels and the renovation of the shower-baths. However, the original changing cubicles (132 in total) have been retained; arranged in rows, they open directly onto the pool and the covered gallery above it. The building was affected by dry rot but was saved thanks to emergency work carried out in the 1990s. The pool itself was also repaired at this time. However, a more extensive restoration was not carried out until the 2010s, when a gymnastics area and nine showers were renovated under the aegis of the employment support initiative STIC (Service de travaux d’intérêt collectif). The pool was closed in 2013 and reopened in 2019. Like Brussels’ other swimming baths, the Bains de Saint-Josse/Zwembaden van Sint-Joost are a great place for people to meet and take part in physical activity together. (Listed 04/06/2009)
Guided tours: Sat. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 and Sun. at 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); Sat. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 and Sun. at 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30 and 16:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Brussels Chatterguides and Korei Guided Tours.
Sat., 10:00 to 18:00 and Sun., 12:30 to 18:00
Rue Saint-François/Sint-Franciscusstraat 27, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Sint-Joost-ten-Node
Guided tours and by reservation only