Programme

Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek Academy of Drawing and Visual Arts

A. de Ville de Goyet © urban.brussels

Architect Joachim Benoît ingeniously arranged the premises of the Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek Academy of Drawing and Visual Arts (Académie de Dessin et des Arts Visuels/Academie voor tekenkunsten en visuele kunsten) with its eclectic-style façade combining blue limestone, white stone and brick. This was no easy task as a large number of classrooms had to be accommodated in a very small area. The architect Benoît, an apprentice of Joseph Poelaert, came up with an inverted T-shape design, ensuring that all the classrooms opened onto the large courtyard, with a monumental white-marble staircase connecting the vestibule to the upstairs gallery. The Academy of Drawing and Modelling was established in 1865 to meet the need for skilled craftspeople at a time when the municipality of Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek was undergoing rapid industrialisation. The work was approved by a decree dated 27 August 1878, and the academy opened in Rue Mommaerts/Mommaertsstraat in 1880, in the current building, whose pediment bears the municipal coat of arms. Today, the academy continues its tradition of artistic education, welcoming around 500 students. Over time, the institution has embraced other disciplines, reflecting the development of techniques and the use of new materials. As well as painting and sculpture workshops, there are multidisciplinary workshops in ceramics, photography, screen printing, advertising, cinematography, videography and computer graphics, as well as preparatory workshops for children. (Listed 18/07/1996)

Tour of the sculpture workshop: Sat. from 10:00 to 13:00. Visitors will be able to see restoration work being carried out on two large plaster casts of a soldier and a civilian by Georges Vandevoorde.

Philosophy workshops on heritage and on academies as meeting places: Sat. from 14:00 to 15:30 and Sun. from 15:00 to 16:30. Run in cooperation with non-profit organisation PhiloCité, these two workshops will stimulate a real group discussion on the concepts of heritage and meeting places.

Practical information

Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00

Rue Mommaerts/Mommaertsstraat 2A, Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek

By reservation only

M
1 5 Comte de Flandre - Graaf Van Vlaanderen
B
20 89 Merchtem
Accessible with assistance

Accessible with assistance