Joseph Diongre won the competition to design the new home of the National Institute for Radio Broadcasting (Institut National de Radiodiffusion/Nationaal Instituut voor de Radio-omroep, or INR/NIR) in 1933, and worked with various engineers to ensure that the future structure would meet the technical requirements. Modernist in influence, the building was also inspired by the architecture of the Netherlands, most notably in its use of yellow brick, as well as evoking Art Deco style with its paquebot (‘ocean liner’) or Streamline Moderne outline and its interior decoration. It combined remarkable acoustic qualities with a sophisticated decor finished to an exceptionally high standard. Building work started in 1933 and was completed in 1939. After 50 years of intense activity and top-class recordings, the complex was put up for sale by its owners, public-service broadcasters RTBF and VRT. Bought by the public limited company Maison de la Radio Flagey/Omroepgebouw Flagey in 1998 and completely restored, the building has, since autumn 2001, housed an audiovisual centre unrivalled in Brussels, combining studios, concert halls and cinemas with offices and shops. Today, it hosts the qualifying rounds for the Queen Elisabeth Competition, as well as shows, festivals and cinema screenings. The building’s plethora of spaces are also ideal for cocktail parties, meetings, conferences and private receptions, all of which makes Flagey one of Brussels’ most outstanding gathering places. (Listed 28/04/1994)
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30 and 12:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Arkadia and Korei Guided Tours.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 13:00
Place Sainte-Croix/Heilig-Kruisplein, Ixelles/Elsene
Guided tours and by reservation only
Accessible with assistance