Evere Mill herb gardens
Built in 1841, the Evere windmill was used by local farmers to grind their grain. The building has been put to various uses over the years. In 1853, a steam engine was installed so that the mill could continue operating regardless of the weather. This rendered the wooden sails obsolete and they were eventually taken down. The mill later acquired two new structures, in 1887 and 1904, housing roller mills and a storage space respectively. Unable to compete with the huge flour mills in Willebroek, the mill closed down in 1911 and was later used for various small-scale local industries, becoming for a time a thermosiphon factory, a tannery, a business manufacturing small woodworking machines and a factory producing casings for the butchery trade. In the 1930s, Oscar Tausig set up his spice factory here, and this stood on these premises until 1983. Left abandoned, the mill, its garden and the paved avenue through the park were listed in 1990 and bought by the Municipality of Evere in 1998. Managed since then by the Commission de l’Environnement de Bruxelles et Environs/Milieucommissie Brussel en Omgeving, the site is home to an aromatic garden now featuring more than 60 culinary herbs that grow in the Belgian climate. A friendly place in which volunteers rub shoulders with the site’s managers, the garden also contains many bug boxes to encourage insects. (Listed 20/12/1990)
Guided tours: Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00 (in French).
In cooperation with the Commission de l’Environnement de Bruxelles et Environs/Milieu Commissie Brussel en Omgeving.
Sun. only, 10:00 to 17:00
Rue du Moulin à Vent/Windmolenstraat 21, Evere
By reservation only