Maison/ Huis Hap (fully booked)

A. de Ville de Goyet ©

In 1804, the Mayor of Etterbeek, Albert-Joseph Hap, purchased an estate of some 3 hectares. It included a pond and a 16th-century private residence in the Renaissance style. In 1859, his son François-Louis, a notary, had a street-facing house built on the site. It was extended and refurbished in 1905 by architect Georges Thoelen, who gave it a neoclassical façade. The house’s interior is richly decorated, with both the offices of the notarial practice and the private apartments boasting remarkable ornamental features. The hallway and stairwell of the private apartments feature a mosaic bordered with Greek keys and stencilled and oil-painted Art Nouveau friezes, while views of old Etterbeek, painted on canvas by Édouard Navez, adorn the walls of the dining room, and the large drawing room, with its handsome wallpapered and wood-panelled walls, has a ceiling ornamented with arabesques. The skylight of the garden room is made of stained glass bearing plant motifs, while the annex is floored with multicoloured mosaic tiling. In the part of the house used for Hap’s professional practice, the employees’ office has a superb Art Nouveau stained-glass window showing a rising sun surrounded by twining plants. The notary’s office is decorated in the Flemish neo-Renaissance style, featuring wallpaper, woodwork, a green marble and blue limestone mantelpiece, and a ceramic fireplace insert made by the Boch factory in La Louvière. The house, which is now the property of the Municipality of Etterbeek, is currently being restored. (Listed since 9 March 1995)

Guided tours, Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (French), 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (Dutch). In cooperation with Bruxelles Bavard.

In addition to the tours of the Hap House, three tours of the Hap Garden will be offered to the public on Saturday 19 September at 10 am, 1 pm and 3 pm. To join one of the three guided tours of the Hap Garden offered by the municipality of Etterbeek, register by e-mail: (maximum 15 people per visit).

In cooperation with the Municipality of Etterbeek, the architectural firm SKOPE and the restoration companies Monument and Altri Tempi.

Practical information

Sat. only, 10:00 to 18:00 (last admission at 17: 15)

Chaussée de Wavre/Waversesteenweg 508, Etterbeek

Guided tours only – advance booking required

34 Fétis - Fetis
Non accessible

Non accessible


Choose your visit schedule, taking into account the language of the potential guided tours (duration: 30 min.)
fully booked