Programme

Maison/Huis Hap and grounds (fully booked)

© Etterbeek

In 1804, the Mayor of Etterbeek, Albert-Joseph Hap, purchased an estate of some 3 hectares on the banks of the Broebelaer/Broebelaar, a tributary of the Maelbeek/Maalbeek stream. As well as a pond, it included a 16th-century private residence in the Renaissance style, where the family planned to set up a leather factory. Around 1830, a brewery and a tannery were established in the extensive grounds, which remain in place to this day. In 1859, Hap’s son had a street-facing house built on the site. It was extended and refurbished in 1905 by architect Georges Thoelen, who gave it an eight-bay neoclassical façade. Inside, the offices of the notarial practice were separate from the private apartments. The house remained in the family’s hands until 1988, when it became the property of the municipal authorities. The reception rooms retain their sumptuous decoration, including wallpapers, mosaics, woodwork, ceramics and some remarkable stained-glass windows. The interior has been painstakingly restored by two companies, Monument and Altri Tempi, in partnership with an architecture firm called SKOPE. As for the grounds, dotted with century-old trees, they have a few surprises in store, including an orangery, an attractive octagonal gazebo topped with slates, and rockeries around the pond. Following their recent restoration, the grounds also include vegetable gardens, a henhouse, an apiary and an orchard. Etterbeek’s Dutch-speaking library is also to be found here. (Listed 09/03/1995 – 29/06/2000)

Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30 and 16:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with E-Guides and Klare Lijn.

Exhibition: “The Hap site in Etterbeek: past, restoration and future”. The result of research and archival work by historians, this exhibition will present objects, documents and photos illustrating the history of the site, the Hap family and its local connections. It will also showcase the recent restoration and the meticulous work of the restorers, which has revealed the mansion’s rich decorative features of stained glass, wallpapers, mosaics and murals. In addition, visitors will find out about the project to revitalise the site, spearheaded by the Municipality of Etterbeek as part of its Sustainable Neighbourhood Contract. The aim is to create a multicultural meeting place where food, culture and nature will go hand in hand, for the benefit of local residents and other visitors. In cooperation with the Municipality of Etterbeek, architectural firm SKOPE, restoration companies Monument and Altri Tempi, and art historians Marie-Pierre Dusausoy and Jean-Marie Bailly.

Practical information

Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00

Chaussée de Wavre/Waversesteenweg 508, Etterbeek

Guided tours and by reservation only

B
34 Fétis - Fetis
Non accessible

Non accessible