The visit.brussels tourism and information centre for the Brussels-Capital Region takes up two buildings: the Hôtel de Grimbergen (numbers 2-4, Rue Royale/Koningsstraat) and the Hôtel de Spangen (numbers 11-12, Place Royale/Koningsplein). These buildings blend in harmoniously with the neoclassical look of Place Royale/Koningsplein, which was designed by French architect Jean Benoît Vincent Barré, who drew his inspiration from Place Stanislas in Nancy in his native country. The Hôtel de Grimbergen was built from 1776 onwards under the supervision of Barnabé Guimard. From the start, the building was divided up into parts with different uses. For example, the corner on the side nearest Parc de Bruxelles/Warandepark was home to Café de l’Amitié from around 1830, while the corner on the Place Royale/Koningsplein side housed the Muquardt bookshop from 1840 to 1875. The building was subsequently completely redeveloped by Lloyds & National Provincial Foreign Bank Ltd, which set up its offices there. The elegant entrance hall and the large Salle des Guichets/Lokettenzaal (counter hall), whose compartmentalised ceiling features some carefully stuccoed eaves, date from this period. Upstairs there is a remarkable stucco ceiling clearly inspired by the Adam style so popular in 18th-century Britain. The tourism and information centre has been here since 10 May 2008. The complex has many exhibition, conference and business meeting rooms, making it a pre-eminent gathering place at the heart of the city.
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Arkadia and Korei Guided Tours.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Place Royale/Koningsplein 11, Brussels
Guided tours and by reservation only
Accessible with assistance