The buildings that have housed the University Foundation since the early 1920s were erected and altered between 1870 and 1958. Work on the complex over the years was overseen by architects Eugène Flanneau, Ernest Jaspar and Maurice Haeck. The University Foundation was created after the First World War and was officially recognised as an establishment operating in the public interest in 1920. It seeks to offer researchers financial support and act as a forum for interaction between academia and civil-society leaders. For several decades, the Foundation served as the headquarters of the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research (FRS-FNRS). The reception rooms in the buildings have retained their old splendour, as have the meeting and reading rooms, whose high panelling and attractive stucco ceilings are reminiscent of British private members’ clubs. The Foundation’s main purpose is still to promote unity while respecting cultural and ideological diversity. Today, with its conference cycles, meetings and debates, it continues to build bridges and to foster the exchange of ideas and opinions among those attending its events.
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30; 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Pro Velo.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue d’Egmont/Egmontstraat 11, Brussels
Guided tours and by reservation only