Théâtre du Vaudeville
The site of the current Théâtre du Vaudeville or Vaudeville Theatre was formerly home to the flower market, a glass-roofed building designed by architect Jean-Pierre Cluysenaer in 1847. In 1853, the market was converted into a cabaret called the Casino des Galeries Saint-Hubert, retaining the columns and tiered galleries of the original building. The complex was restored in 1884, becoming the Théâtre du Vaudeville soon afterwards. Apart from the Art Deco-style foyer, added in 1926 based on a design by architect Gaston Ide, the building retains an ornate gilded stucco decor. The venue, which was ultimately converted into a private members’ club in 1974, has become a multifunctional space thanks to an ingenious system whereby the seats can be retracted under the stage, meaning that the ground floor of the theatre can be turned into the backdrop for a gala dinner, dinner show, dance event, cocktail reception, wedding, fashion show or conference. (Listed 17/04/1997)
Guided tours: Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Once in Brussels and Korei Guided Tours.
Sun. only, 10:00 to 18:00 (subject to reservation of the auditorium)
Galerie de la Reine/Koninginnegalerij 13-15, Brussels
guided tours and by reservation only
Accessible with assistance