Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg/Sint-Jacob-op-de-Koudenberg Church (royal parish, cathedral of the Military Ordinariate of Belgium)
Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg/Sint-Jacob-op-de-Koudenberg Church provides an attractive focal point at the end of Rue Montagne de la Cour/Hofberg while also blending well with the neoclassical grandeur of Place Royale/Koningsplein. French architect Barnabé Guimard was responsible for the building’s construction, while the interior was designed by Louis Montoyer. The church is fronted by an imposing peristyle with Corinthian columns, including a monumental fresco on the pediment painted by Jean-François Portaels between 1843 and 1845. Mighty columns with Corinthian capitals divide up the interior which, with its light grey stucco walls and distinctly neoclassical decorative scheme, forms a highly unified ensemble. Regency-style oak stalls, a Louis-XIV wrought-iron grille, paintings by Jean-François Portaels, Caspar de Crayer and Jean Geefs, sculptures by Laurent Delvaux and Gilles-Lambert Godecharle, and a Pierre Schyven organ dating from 1884 are among the decorative features of the church’s interior. (Listed – 02/12/1959)
Sat.: 14:30, 16:30.
Sat.: 14:00, 15:30.
In cooperation with Église et Tourisme Bruxelles/Kerk en Toerisme Brussel.
Walking tour: ‘Journey to the Congo’; walking/bus tour: ‘Take the Colonial Grand Tour, from the Globe tavern to Place Lumumba/Lumumbaplein’; and guided scavenger hunt: ‘From Leopold II to Baudouin: a journey through the history of a dynasty’.
Advance booking not required