Museum of the City of Brussels Public Welfare Centre (CPAS/OCMW)
The site occupied by the City of Brussels Public Welfare Centre (CPAS/OCMW) has been home, since the 12th century, to premises for housing and caring for the most disadvantaged members of society. What started out as St Peter’s leper colony subsequently became a convent and ultimately, in 1783, a hospital. Then, when this part of the Low Countries was under French rule, the various existing institutions providing assistance were brought together within the General Council of Hospices and Aid (Conseil Général des Hospices et Secours). At that point these institutions’ heritage became a single collection, which formed the basis for the current CPAS/OCMW art collection. Nowadays, the artworks are exhibited in a building that was once part of a complex erected between 1929 and 1935, designed by architect Jean-Baptiste Dewin. With its functional style discreetly mixed with Art Deco elements, this complex, which had itself replaced the hospital, was partially demolished from 1992 onwards. The surviving part continues to hold some amazing treasures – paintings, sculptures and even gold or silverware, all of them bearing witness to the city of Brussels’ history – which interested members of the public can view on informative tours.
Guided tours: Sat. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:00 and Sun. at 11:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:00 (in French); Sat. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30 and 15:30 and Sun. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30 and 15:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Once in Brussels.
sign-languageGuided tours in French Belgian Sign Language: Sat. at 14:30 and Sun. at 10:00. In cooperation with Arts & Culture.
Guided tours and by reservation only
Rue Haute/Hoogstraat 298A, Brussels