Koninklijke Vlaamse Schouwburg (KVS)
In 1883, the City of Brussels allowed the former Arsenal to be converted into a Flemish theatre on condition that the original façade of the warehouse, built in 1780-1781 by architect Rémy Nivoy, was preserved. The project was entrusted to architect and designer Jean Baes, who turned the old façade into the rear of the new structure. Baes created an elaborately ornamented building that amplified the Flemish neo-Renaissance style. The addition of tiered balconies, increasing in size towards the ground floor, gives the building a rather unusual outline. These balconies are supported by steel corbels partially embedded in the side walls, the latter being reinforced by a network of metal profiles and masonry arches. A major restoration of the theatre was completed in 2006. Artistic director since 2016, Michel de Cock has promoted gender diversity and established KVS as a platform and hub in the heart of the city, where people and networks can intersect and interweave, and as a starting point, thoroughfare and finish line for a wide range of theatre projects. Since 2004, KVS has had a brand-new building, KVS BOX, at number 7, Quai aux Pierres de Taille/Arduinkaai. The BOX houses a rectangular theatre with retractable seating, employee offices and Café Congo, a meeting place for artists, visitors and collaborators. (Listed 09/09/1993)
Guided tours: Sat. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30 and 16:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with Arkadia and Korei Guided Tours.
Sat. only, 10:00 to 18:00
Rue de Laeken/Lakensestraat 146, Brussels
Guided tours and by reservation only