Hôtel de Merode
The Hôtel de Merode as we know it today consists of a long wing of 13 bays in brick and white stone, with an off-centre entrance opening onto Rue aux Laines/Wolstraat, plus a substantial neoclassical addition that was continually reworked during the 19th century. Very little remains of the original building, which was depicted in a drawing by Remigio Cantagallina dated 1619, when it belonged to the Comte de Bournonville. The property formerly included a large plot of land, which was greatly reduced at the time of the construction of Rue de la Régence/Regentschapsstraat and Brussels’ Palace of Justice. It passed by marriage to the Merode-Westerloo family in 1778 and still belongs to the descendants of Comte Guillaume-Charles, who married Princess Marie-Josèphe de Grimberghe around that time. The complex has undergone a major renovation and conversion so that it can serve as a setting for prestigious events and receptions. Today, the Social Club is based in the building, and the Hôtel de Merode is once again set to shine as a top-class entertainment venue. (Listed 17/04/1997)
Guided tours: Sat. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 and Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00 and 17:00 (in French), Sat. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30 and 17:30 and Sun. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch), subject to the rules applying at the time. In cooperation with Atelier de Recherche et d’Action Urbaines.
sign-languageGuided tours in French Belgian Sign Language: Sat. at 16:30 and Sun. at 16:00. In cooperation with Itinéraires, sur les Sentiers de l’Histoire and Klare Lijn.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Place Poelaert/Poelaertplein 6, Brussels
Guided tours and by reservation only
Accessible with assistance