The Greenwich pub is situated on the ground floor of a building dating from 1914. It still has its original façade, which was designed and built by architect A. Delune in 1916. The façade is punctuated by pilasters in purple breccia and sea-green marble and is clad in sheet metal painted to resemble green marble. Handsome windows frame the gently curving canopy above the pub’s entrance. The lower sections of these windows are ornamented with wrought iron, while medallion-shaped panels of stained glass add an attractive flourish to the upper sections. The building’s interior, designed in the eclectic style with a number of Empire highlights, is well preserved, retaining its original wood panelling with mirror inserts and its stucco-framed advertising panels. Other noteworthy features include the billiard room with its beautiful domed glass canopy, the counter with its enormous antique till, and even the fully tiled toilets in the cellar, the only specimens of their kind in Brussels. Once a favourite haunt of René Magritte, the Greenwich is still a popular meeting point for chess players and is one of the last surviving Belle Époque taverns in Brussels. (Listed since 29 June 2000)
Guided tours. In cooperation with Bruxelles Bavard.
Accessible with assistance