Great Synagogue of Brussels-Great Synagogue of Europe (fully booked)
Brussels had had a synagogue since 1833, in Place de Dinant/Dinantplein in a former butcher’s premises known as the Petite Boucherie. When a competition was held to build a new one, it was won by the architect Désiré De Keyser, with his design in the Romano-Byzantine style. Work began in 1875 and was completed in 1878. Flanked by two towers, the monumental white-stone façade overlooking Rue de la Régence/Regentschapsstraat conceals a hall-like interior space comprising three naves. The main nave, whose white walls contrast with the rich polychromy of the apse, is lit by a rose window in a semicircular tympanum, surrounded by 12 plaques symbolising the 12 tribes of Israel. The apse houses an impressive ark containing the Torah scrolls, and the bimah, a platform from which the holy texts are read. The synagogue (derived from the Ancient Greek word for ‘assembly’) brings together members of the Jewish community to attend the major events of the liturgical calendar and receive religious instruction. The Great Synagogue of Europe is the most important place of worship for Jews in Belgium and a symbol of Jewish culture. (Listed 09/02/1995)
Explanations on site.
Sun. only, 11:00 to 16:00
Rue Joseph Dupont 2/Joseph Dupontstraat 2, Brussels
By reservation only. Proof of identity required.