Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert/ Koninklijke Sint-Hubertusgalerijen
The brainchild of architect Jean-Pierre Cluysenaer, the impressive Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert/Koninklijke Sint-Hubertusgalerijen project first took shape in the 1830s. Construction work began in 1846 and was almost complete in time for the galleries’ official opening on 20 June 1847. The architect’s plan was to build a long gallery like those seen in Paris, but more majestic. Accordingly, particular attention was paid to the galleries’ architecture and decoration, which drew inspiration from 16th-century Italian palaces. On the Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes/Grasmarkt façade, features characteristic of the Tuscan, Ionic and Corinthian orders of architecture span the galleries’ three floors from bottom to top, and this is also reflected in the interior decor. However, tshe light-grey plaster that sets off the blue limestone architectural ornaments is pink inside the galleries, harmonising beautifully with the white used to frame the window bays, the red-marble bases and pilasters lining the ground floor and the painted imitation-marble pilasters and facings, made to resemble breccia Carolina, breccia d’Aleppo, antique green marble and genuine griotte marble. The ingenious glass canopy mounted on self-supporting curved arches and featuring myriad panes of glass laid out like fish scales bathes the entire complex in radiant light. To this day, the galleries form a stylish arcade beloved by tourists and Brussels residents alike for their luxury boutiques, elegant cafés and cultural venues. (Listed since 19 November 1986)
Guided tours, Sat. & Sun. at 9:00, 11:00, 14:00 and 16:00 (departure rue du Marché-aux-Herbes/Grasmarkt – duration: 1:30). Advance booking: call 0499 21 39 85 or e-mail email@example.com. Up to 20 people per tour. In cooperation with E-Guides.
Rue Marché-aux-Herbes/Grasmarkt and Rue de l’Écuyer/Schildknaapsstraat, Brussels