Bains de Bruxelles/Baden van Brussel (fully booked)
In 1949, architect Maurice Van Nieuwenhuyse drew up plans for a swimming baths complex for the City of Brussels. The long, narrow plot shaped the design for the new baths, forcing the architect to adopt a rare and technically elaborate solution. He came up with a five-storey building opening onto both Rue du Chevreuil/Reebokstraat and Rue des Capucins/Kapucijnenstraat, with two pools situated one above the other and supported by a structure independent of that of the main building. Lengthwise, the building is divided into three distinct spaces. The first, on the Rue du Chevreuil/Reebokstraat side, contains the reception and administration areas; the middle one houses ancillary bathing-related facilities (individual baths and showers, gym, changing rooms, cafeteria); the two swimming pools are housed in the third space, on the Rue des Capucins/Kapucijnenstraat side. Work began in 1950 and was completed three years later, with the whole complex finally opening on 18 December 1953. The main façade features a wide porch bearing the words ‘Bains-Baden’ (‘Baths’ in French and Dutch). The pools are very popular with local residents, who throng here to socialise as well as to swim. (Listed 06/05/2010)
Guided tours of the facilities and old heating systems in the basement: Sat. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 and Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French), Sat. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 and Sun. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (in Dutch), subject to the rules applying at the time. In cooperation with Atelier de Recherche et d’Action Urbaines.
Guided tours in French Belgian Sign Language: Sat. at 14:00 and Sun. at 15:30. In cooperation with Arts & Culture.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue du Chevreuil/Reebokstraat 28, Brussels
Guided tours and by reservation only