Ateliers des Tanneurs (fully booked)
This vast site comprises two closely interconnected complexes: the Belle Époque-style Merchie-Pède department stores and an industrial building that has been integrated seamlessly into its urban environment (the Palais du Vin/Wijnpaleis). Architect Fernand Symons began construction work on the Palais du Vin/Wijnpaleis in 1909, opting for an Art Nouveau style, which is reflected in the complex’s plant-inspired decor and its many-hued façade combining glazed bricks, wrought iron, blue limestone, white stone, and sgraffito elements produced by Géo Ponchon. Behind the façade are the bottling rooms and the barrel-vaulted halls used to store the wine casks. For hygiene reasons, the walls in the work areas were covered with white, light-blue and burgundy tiles. This magnificent site has belonged to the CPAS/OCMW social welfare centre since 1996. It was renovated between 1998 and 2006 and now houses Les Ateliers des Tanneurs, an 8,000-m² space serving as a hub for economic development. It acts both as a business centre and base for various companies and as an events venue, and also has an organic market and a restaurant. (Listed since 29 March 2001)
Guided tours, Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, and 16:00 and 17:00 (French), 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (Dutch). In cooperation with Once in Brussels.
sign-languageGuided tours in sign language in French, Sat. & Sun. at 11:00. In cooperation with Arts & Culture.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue des Tanneurs/Huidvettersstraat 52-56, Brussels
Guided tours only – advance booking required