Walking tour

The Florist’s Gardens: an oasis of scent and colour

The Florist’s Gardens are among the royal parks and gardens of Laeken/Laken. The land on which they are located, once part of the estate of Stuyvenberg Castle, was acquired by King Leopold II in 1890. Émile Lainé, the landscape architect tasked with laying out the gardens, built two terraces on the steeply sloping terrain. The lower terrace was to be used for cultivation, hosting a large number of greenhouses created by Henri Maquet, while the upper terrace would become home to a Lainé-designed French formal garden with two large ponds and affording particularly impressive views of the city. When Leopold II died, the land passed back to the Belgian Crown and, having fallen into a rather sorry state, was eventually taken over by Brussels Environment. The former pleasure gardens have now been restored to their former glory, their flowers, rare plants and exotic herbs lighting up the space in a blaze of colour all year round. Moreover, six of the sixteen greenhouses that once stood in the gardens will soon be rebuilt, replicating what they looked like over 100 years ago.

In Dutch only.

In cooperation with Korei Guided Tours.

Practical information

Sun. at 10:30 and 14:00 (duration: 2 hours).

Starting point: at the entrance to the park, Avenue Jean Sobieski/Jan Sobieskilaan, Brussels-Laeken/Laken
Advance booking required at Up to 20 people per tour.
6 Stuyvenbergh
19 Stuyvenbergh