Queen Elisabeth Medical Foundation (fully booked)
The idea of building a medical research institute on land belonging to Brugmann Hospital first took shape in 1924. The Brussels hospital board Conseil Général des Hospices et Secours and the Queen Elisabeth Foundation commissioned architect Henry Lacoste to design the facility. The resulting sober Art Deco building, in a style inspired by the Amsterdam School, was constructed between 1927 and 1933 and comprised accommodation for the institute’s head and a long wing split in two by its main entrance, a recessed portal with stairs leading to the door. An archaeology buff, Lacoste decorated the façade with friezes formed of blue, green and black tiles, alluding to the architectural styles of Assyria and Babylon. Colour also features prominently in the building’s elegant interior decor. Vertical bands of coloured (Marbrite) glass tiles in green, blue and white line the walls, attractively complementing the many-hued marble flooring. The decorative effect continues up the staircase, with its stained-glass windows bearing non-figurative designs, while flowers frame the library door, which is edged in coloured tiles. (Listed since 13 December 2012)
Guided tours on Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 16:00 (French), 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30 and 15:30 (Dutch). In cooperation with Laeken Discovery.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 12:30 and 14:00 to 16:30
Avenue Jean Joseph Crocq/Jean Joseph Crocqlaan 3, Brussels-Laeken/Laken
Guided tours only – advance booking required