Université Libre de Bruxelles (Building A)
The initial buildings on the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) campus were constructed thanks to financial support provided by the Commission for Relief in Belgium, an organisation based in the United States. Among the architects selected for this project was Alexis Dumont, who between 1924 and 1928 built a complex whose neo-Baroque style was appealing to the Americans. While the interior layout is distinctly modern, the period-look exterior – somewhat anachronistic at a time when Art Deco was in vogue – conveys the idea of a US-style campus while also reflecting the regionalism that was prevalent in those years of reconstruction following the First World War. The entrance to the central building features a broken pediment and ringed pilasters. This building, whose dormer windows and stepped gables are surrounded with white stone and red brick, is flanked by an imposing 50-metre-high clock tower. The side buildings, too, with their identical façades, have stepped gables opening onto Avenue Franklin Roosevelt/Franklin Rooseveltlaan. The complex also houses the Faculty of Letters, Translation and Communication, the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management, some of the university’s libraries and the Michel de Ghelderode Museum. Meanwhile, the old Council Chamber has become a valuable storage space and reading room for the ULB’s archives. It adjoins the marble Great Hall, once used for academic ceremonies and as a ‘forum’ but now serving as a study area – a place where many students meet up or cross paths throughout the year. (Listed 11/12/2014)
Guided tours of the Great Hall: Sat. & Sun. at 16:00 (in English); 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00 (in French); 15:00 (in Dutch). These tours will be followed by a tour of the old Council Chamber: Sat. & Sun. at 16:30 (in English); 14:30, 15:30 and 16:30 (in French); 15:30 (in Dutch).
Sat. & Sun., 14:00 to 17:00
Avenue Franklin Roosevelt/Franklin Rooseveltlaan 50, Brussels-Extensions
Guided tours and by reservation only