Programme

Square Marguerite/Margaretasquare

© Chantal MOENS

As part of his urban development plans, architect Gédéon Bordiau designed a series of three squares that would be connected by a vast tree-lined avenue and would make the most of the water coming from Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek and Woluwe. Work on the project began in 1875, encompassing Avenue Palmerston/Palmerstonlaan and the three squares referred to above: Ambiorix, Marguerite/Margareta and Marie-Louise/Maria-Louiza. While Square Marie-Louise/Maria-Louizasquare featured a huge pond with an artificial grotto and a powerful fountain, Square Ambiorix/Ambiorixsquare, surrounded by a hedge of trained lime trees, boasted geometric spaces in terraces more reminiscent of the French style. As for Square Marguerite/Margaretasquare, named after Margaret of York, Margaret of Parma or Margaret of Austria, there were plans to build an imposing neo-Gothic-style church, but these were abandoned twice. King Leopold II favoured the idea of a basilica in Koekelberg instead. The esplanade very soon began to be used as a playground and leisure space, with a bandstand being erected around 1900. This disappeared after the Second World War but the square retains its recreational function as a play area was built here in 2000. A place for sport, relaxation and group games, Square Marguerite/Margaretasquare is very popular with locals. (Listed 14/07/1994)

Practical information

Brussels-Extensions

B
63 Marguerite/Michel-Ange - Margareta/Michelangelo