Programme

Parc du Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark

A. de Ville de Goyet © urban.brussels

Originally, Parc du Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark covered some 12 hectares, used for manoeuvres by the Civil Guard. It was created as part of the plans to expand and enhance Brussels, overseen by Victor Besme during the reign of Leopold II. In 1888, the City of Brussels decided to incorporate the unused adjoining land, thereby increasing the area of the park to 30 hectares. Designed by Gédéon Bordiau, the park consisted of a French flower garden (mainly near the buildings) and an English garden (on the periphery). Apart from being turned into a vegetable garden during the Second World War, the park has not undergone any major changes since its creation. It provides a wonderful green setting for the buildings erected to mark the 50th anniversary of Belgium’s independence, which now house the Art & History Museum, the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and Autoworld, a museum telling the history of the motor car. Until 1930-1934, the park was the backdrop for a lot of trade, cycling, horse, motor and balloon shows. Today, the Brussels 20-km run (20km de Bruxelles/20km door Brussel) starts at Parc du Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark’s esplanade, which hosts many events, including the environment festival Festival de l’Environnement/Milieufestival and concerts, festivals and the famed drive-in or open-air cinema. Strollers and joggers enjoy the park’s long avenues, while its benches and expanses of grass encourage visitors to stop or play. (Listed 18/11/1976)

Practical information

Avenue de la Renaissance/Renaissancelaan / Avenue des Nerviens/Nerviërslaan / Avenue de l’Yser/Ijzerlaan / Avenue de la Joyeuse Entrée/Blijde Inkomstlaan, Brussels-Extensions
M
1 5 Merode/Schuman
B
36 56 79 Schuman