Chancellery of the Spanish Embassy
The neoclassical town house that is now home to the Chancellery of the Spanish Embassy belonged originally to Count Philippe de Brouchoven de Bergeyck. It was purchased on 23 May 1929 by Ambassador Francisco José Gutiérrez de Agüera y Bayo on behalf of the Spanish State. The building was acquired thanks to a generous donation from Catalan industrialist Manuel Pereña. At the time, the building was intended to house the Maison d'Espagne, the idea being to bring together various functions (embassy, consulate, cultural institution and official Spanish chamber of commerce in Belgium) under one roof. The building has also housed the Belgium-Spain Cervantes Association, the Hispanic-Belgian Union, the Hispanic-Belgian-American Circle, the Spanish Charity Society, the Tourist Office, the Chamber of Commerce and the Hispanic-Belgian Scientific Cooperation. Since 2017 the Chancellery has had a cultural space, the Spain Arts and Science LAB in Belgium. Opening onto the inner courtyard, the LAB welcomes innovative art and science projects all year round.
The LAB will host a photographic exhibition El Espejo (The Mirror) by Brussels-based Spanish artist María Baoli. Featuring portraits of young refugees and marginalised youth, the project was developed in collaboration with Convivial and CEMO (Centre d'Education en Milieu Ouvert).
In the courtyard, visitors will be able to view the fresco Efecto Mariposa (Butterfly Effect) by Spanish artists Olimpia Velasco and Esther Pizarro, winner of the urban art competition against climate change launched by the City of Brussels and the Spanish Embassy in Belgium. This art installation invites viewers to reflect on the fragile balance that exists between nature and the marks we humans leave on its flora and fauna.
Sat. & Sun. 10:00 to 14:00
Rue de la Science / Wetenschapstraat 19 – Brussels-Extensions
Advance booking not required. Please bring proof of identity
Accessible with assistance