Prior’s House and Rouge-Cloître/Rood Klooster site
The priory of Rouge-Cloître/Rood Klooster (Red Cloister) was founded by hermits, who settled in the Sonian Forest and built cells and a consecrated chapel there in 1369. The Dukes of Brabant gave a generous endowment to this first foundation, which adopted the Rule of Saint Augustine in 1373. The Burgundian princes and their successors ensured the prosperity of the priory, which went on expanding until it was secularised in 1784. The charm of the place continued to draw in the public, so much so that a café was set up in the Miller’s House in 1884 and a restaurant opened in 1902 in what had once been the prior’s quarters. The whole site was purchased by the Belgian State in 1910. All that remains of the old cloister is the Prior’s House, which once housed the chapter room, the canons’ bedchambers and the prior’s quarters. Attached to the church, which no longer exists, the building was considerably altered in the 18th century, giving the main façade a classical look, although the rear has retained a number of ogival bays. The magnificent 14th-century frame is still in place and is now home to a bat colony. Unoccupied since 1998, the Prior’s House is undergoing restoration as part of a programme that began in April 2019. The ground floor is set to house a restaurant, with the first floor becoming a multipurpose socio-cultural centre, so expanding the artistic vocation of a site that is geared towards hospitality, meeting and exchange. (Listed 16/11/1965)
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30 and 16:30 (in Dutch). In cooperation with E-Guides and Klare Lijn.
The counter-project – a tool for citizens is a temporary exhibition from La Table Ronde de l’Architecture focusing on new traditional architecture.
Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue du Rouge-Cloître/Rood Kloosterstraat 8, Auderghem/Oudergem
Guided tours by reservation only, exhibition in free access
Accessible with assistance