In 1905, the Municipality of Anderlecht acquired the land on which Parc Astrid/Astridpark – a central feature and integral part of the Meir neighbourhood – now stands. Opened in 1911, it was initially called Parc du Meir/Meirpark. Over time, the park kept growing as the municipal authorities bought more pieces of land. In 1914, some plots within the park were made available to Anderlecht football club (RSCA) to create a pitch, and the first stand (made entirely of wood) was erected in 1920, marking the beginnings of the current stadium. The Municipality of Anderlecht commissioned landscape architect Jules Buyssens to give the park a makeover in 1926. In his overhaul, this skilled designer capitalised on the existing pond and the hilly terrain. He also retained a number of distinctive trees. Following the death of Queen Astrid, the municipal authorities decided to honour the late consort by renaming this attractive green space after her. In the late 1950s, the park was modernised by adding various new features, including the Queen Fabiola Pavilion and the waterfalls, two landmarks that were opened in 1958. While the sports facilities were substantially expanded in 1980, the park has lost none of its charm and remains a favourite place for local residents to come for a walk and do sport, as well as being close to the heart of the many Anderlecht football fans who cross the park to get to the stadium.