Anderlecht Synagogue (fully booked)
Once concentrated in the centre of Brussels, as time went by, the Jewish community welcomed many migrants arriving across Belgium’s eastern border, who settled in the Cureghem/Kuregem neighbourhood of Anderlecht and also in Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek. As numbers grew, this community felt the need to move and build a bigger synagogue than the one near the Marolles/Marollen neighbourhood they had been using since 1910. A 500-m² site was purchased in 1926, and Antwerp-based Jewish architect Joseph De Lange, who had already been responsible for the synagogue in Ostend and for two such buildings in Antwerp, was commissioned with designing the new place of worship. Work started in 1928 and the Art Deco-style building, its walls interspersed with lesenes (pilaster strips), was eventually inaugurated on 6 April 1933. Nowadays, Anderlecht Synagogue welcomes members of Brussels’ Orthodox Jewish community, who gather here to celebrate Shabbat (Saturday, the Jewish day of rest) and the major Jewish holidays.
Guided tours: Sun. at 15:00 (in English); 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (in French); 13:00 (in Dutch).
Sun. only, 10:00 to 18:00
Rue du Chapeau 40/Hoedstraat 40, Anderlecht
Guided tours and by reservation only